Monday, April 27, 2009

What to do on my 30th Birthday?!

Saturday was my 30th birthday and what is a girl to do to embrace this new decade? Well...how about a triathlon. I know, I am crazy. In about January my friend, Tiana, was telling us about the Tri-for-fun that the YMCA puts on here in town. She told me that it was on April 25th. I thought, "Hey that's my birthday. Wouldn't it be funny to tell people that I did a triathlon on my 30th birthday." Well the idea stuck and I started training. The tri-for-fun was a really good triathlon to start with. It is a sprint meaning that you swim 1/4 of a mile or 9 laps, bike 12.5 mile or 17.5 miles (I did 12.5) and then run a 5K. The race is very relaxed and I actually felt very prepared. The hardest part for me was the bike portion. I am such a novice at the bike that I know nothing about gears and what to do on those hill. There were several times that that information would have been handy. On one of the steepest hills I thought, "I could get out and walk my bike up faster." But in the end I actually enjoyed it and would like to do another one. I guess I caught the triathlon bug! The best part was that my wonderful husband and girls were there the whole time to cheer me on during each transition and the finish line.

After the triathlon, we all ran (and I mean literally run) to the Strawberry festival. LeOra and Mackinsie's ballet class was performing on the center stage. I was running through the crowd like a crazy women weaving in and out of the people with my stroller while to little girls in pink leotards and Tu-Tu's were running behind me. We barely got there in time! RJ said I should have run faster in my triathlon. Anyway, the girls did a wonderful job and were such beautiful ballerinas. Then we played at the festival and rode on a few kiddie rides and ate some yummy strawberries until there was no more fun to be had there. Then we came home and everyone took a shower so that the girls could go to Aunt Eimile's while RJ and I went out to dinner. It was a very busy day but a lot of fun. There was one down side to all of this, I forgot my camera! That explains why there are no pictures on this post. I was very sad. I am going to try and get some pictures from some of the other mom's in their ballet class and we will probably have to buy the way over priced pictures that they take as you cross the finish line. When we get those I will have to post them but for now, you will have to picture all of this in your head!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday! Dad probably cried. When I turned 30 he said his middle child could not possibly be 30. Now his baby girl is! Time flies! I am proud of you - doing a race on your birthday - Amazing. Love You.

Veronica said...

Happy belated birthday! I'll be turning 30 this year too! Glad you had a great day. It will definitely be a birthday to remember!

P.S. Thanks for the comment today on naptime!

Leslie said...

I'm with Kelli....I can't believe the Pay baby is 30. That means I will be 30 in the next SEVERAL months. haha

Happy Birthday Shannonen! Thanks for being an awesome roommate way back when and friend! I love you!

Marlowe said...

I think the pictures in my head are probably funnier anyway. Wish I could have seen the girls dancing. Sounds like a busy and successful day. Next step...ironman at 40!

Misty said...

Happy Birthday and welcome to the 30's. That's so awesome you did the race, it is something I've always wanted to do and still haven't.